Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 bunch Broccoli Rabe
2 ea Garlic Cloves
2 tbsp Kalamata Olives, Pitted and Chopped
1/4 cup Almonds, Whole
2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
12 oz Whole Wheat Spaghetti, Fresh or Dried
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. Trim the bottom 1inch off of the broccoli rabe.
4. Blanch the rabe in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Drain and spread out on a cooling rack.
6. Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, place the almonds on a baking sheet.
8. Toast for 7 minutes and allow to cool for 10.
9. Roughly chop the rabe.
10. Place 1 cup of the chopped rabe into a food processor.
11. Add the almonds, garlic, olives and parmesan cheese.
12. With the food processor running, slowly pour in 1/4 cup of olive oil.
13. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
14. Continue processing for 1 minute.
15. Add salt to taste.
16. Bring another large pot of salted water to a boil.
17. Cook the spaghetti until desired doneness.
18. Drain the pasta while preserving the pasta water.
19. Place 6 tbsp of the pesto and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large bowl.
20. Add the spaghetti to the pesto along with 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
21. Distribute the pasta among warm serving bowls.
22. Serve immediately.
Mosaic Magazine, Morgan Stanley