White Truffle Veal Roast
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 1/2 to 5 lbs Veal Loin, Bone In
20 slices White Truffle, In Oil
6 ea Carrots, Finely Chopped
2 ea Onions, Finely Chopped
6 ea Celery Stalks, Finely Chopped
3 cups Veal or Meat Stock
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Dry Italian White Wine
3/4 cup Butter, Unsalted
Flour, To cover the veal loin
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Make an incision in the veal loin and fill with the white truffle slices.
2. Roll the veal in the flour.
3. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat.
4. Add the veal and brown it all over.
5. Take the veal loin out of the pan and salt and pepper it to taste.
6. In the same pan where the veal was browned, add the butter and the vegetables.
7. Sauté until soft.
8. Add the roast back into the Dutch oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Add the wine.
10. As soon as the wine evaporates, add veal stock and place into the oven.
11. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 140 degrees.
12. Remove veal from the oven.
13. Pass the sauce through a strainer.
14. Slice the veal loin and pour strained sauce over top.
15. Top with sliced truffles.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue