Venetian Cornmeal Cake
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 tbsp Butter, For buttering the pan
2 tbsp Flour, For dusting the pan
4 cups Whole Milk
1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Butter
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Grappa
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Raisins
1 1/2 cups Polenta
1 cup Dried Fruit
3 tbsp Pine Nuts
2 ea Eggs, Lightly Beaten
1 tsp Dry Yeast
1/4 cup Candied Citron, Chopped
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour a 9inch baking pan, set aside.
3. In a pot, combine the milk, sugar, salt, 2 tbsp butter, olive oil and grappa.
4. Blend well and bring to a boil.
5. Add the polenta and flour.
6. While stirring constantly, bring back to a boil for 2 minutes.
7. Add the raisins, pine nuts, dried fruit and candied citron.
8. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
9. Stir frequently.
10. Remove the pot from the stove.
11. Add the eggs, vanilla and yeast.
12. Stir until well combined.
13. Carefully pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
14. Bake for 45 minutes.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue