Vegetable Soup with Rice
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 to 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Diced Salt Pork (Optional)
1 ea Leek, Sliced Thin
1 ea Celery Stalk, Coarsely Chopped
2 ea Carrots, Coarsely Chopped
2 ea Zucchini, Coarsely Chopped
1/2 cup String Beans, Trimmed and Chopped
2 cups Cabbage, Shredded
2 ea Potatoes
2 ea Tomatoes, Diced
1/2 cup Green Peas
1/2 cup Cannelloni Beans
1 ea Bay Leaf
1 cup Carnaroli Rice, Uncooked
Salt to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Warm the olive oil in a 6 to 7 quart pot over medium heat.
2. Add the salt pork, if using, and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add the vegetables in the order listed, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes each before adding the next.
4. Add the beans and bay leaf.
5. Cover the vegetables with water, add salt to taste, and cook at a low boil for about 2 hours.
6. About 20 minutes before the soup is done, add the rice.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari