Veal Rolls alla Milanese
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 ea Thin Veal Slices (2 1/2 oz each)
8 ea Parma Prosciutto Slices
8 tbsp Grana Padano, Grated
1 ea Carrot, Shredded
1 ea Celery Stalk, Thinly Slices
1 ea Onion, Diced
3 tbsp Olive Oil
2 ea Tomatoes
3 tbsp Italian Red Wine
1/2 cup Beef Broth
1 tbsp Butter
A few Rosemary Leaves
Method of Preparation
1. Pound the veal slices with a meat cleaver and rub with salt.
2. Halve the slices of prosciutto and place one halve on each veal slice.
3. Sprinkle a thick coating of grated cheese on each.
4. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
5. Heat oil and brown on all sides.
6. Dip tomatoes into boiling water, drain, remove skin and chop.
7. Sauté the tomatoes over medium-low heat.
8. Add the meat and sauté slightly.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Turn the heat to high and deglaze with wine, stirring continuously until thick.
11. Add beef broth.
12. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
13. Remove the lid and let the beef broth thicken slightly.
14. Add butter and baste the veal rolls with sauce.
15. Serve warm.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendie