Vanilla Custard Sauce
Serves 1/4 lb
All ingredients are available in the market!
1 pint Heavy Cream
3 oz Granulated Sugar
1 ea Vanilla Bean, Cut in Half Lengthwise and Seeds Scraped Out
1 ea Egg Yolks, Whisked
Method of Preparation
1. Pour the heavy cream into a saucepan.
2. Add vanilla bean pod and seeds.
3. Bring the cream to a simmer.
4. Meanwhile, add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk to ensure there are no clumps.
5. Remove saucepan from heat.
6. Rapidly mix 1/2 of the heave cream mixture into the egg yolks.
7. Pour mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream.
8. Simmer while constantly stirring until the mixture is just below boiling point and thick enough to coat the spoon.
9. Transfer mixture into a metal bowl, chill over ice and allow to cool completely.
Foodspring Magazine, Holiday 2006, www.foodspring.com