Tuna and Mushroom Casserole
All ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Whole Milk
1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
1 ea 6oz can Tuna in Olive Oil, Drained
3 cups Egg Noodles
1 1/2 cups Fresh Bread Crumbs
4 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
4 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
4 cups Mushrooms, Sliced
2 tbsp Rosemary, Chopped
1 tbsp Thyme, Chopped
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Sherry
1/4 cup Flour
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Oil a 2 quart casserole dish.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
4. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms, herbs and salt, cook for 5 minutes.
6. Pour in Worcestershire sauce and continue stirring until liquid has almost completely evaporated, about 5-10 minutes.
7. Add Sherry and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Melt remaining 3 tbsp butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat and whisk in flour for 3 minutes.
10. Add broth while whisking and bring to a boil.
11. Add milk and simmer, whisking occasionally for 5 minutes.
12. Stir in mushroom mixture, lemon juice and salt.
13. Fold in flaked tuna and season with salt and pepper.
14. Cook noodles in boiling, salted water and drain
15. Add to the sauce and mix well.
16. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
17. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
18. Bake uncovered until bubbling, approximately 25 minutes.
Foodspring Magazine, Holiday 2006, www.foodspring.com