Tomatoes Stuffed with Green Rice and Fish
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Fish
1 ea Sole Fillet, about 1/2 lb
3 cups Cold Water
2 cups Dry White Wine
1 ea Bay Leaf
1 ea Whole Clove
1 tsp Coarse-Grained Salt
5 ea Whole Black Peppercorns
Pinch of Dried Thyme
For the Tomatoes
6 ea Tomatoes
6 tbsp Raw Rice, Recommend Italian Arborio
1/3 cup Boiled Spinach
10 ea Italian Parsley, Leaves Only
1 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Freshly Ground
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
6 ea Fresh Basil Leaves
Method of Preparation
1. For the fish- Wash the fish in cold water and put it in a small bowl of cold water with coarse-grained salt.
2. Pour the wine and the 3 cups of water into a saucepan or small fish poacher.
3. Bring to a boil over medium heat and add the whole carrot, bay leaf, clove, thyme, the 1 tsp of coarse-grained salt and the whole peppercorns.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add the sole fillet and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and let the fish cool in the poaching liquid for an hour.
7. Meanwhile, soak the whole tomatoes in a bowl of cold water for a 1/2 hour.
8. Then drain the tomatoes and dry them with paper towels.
9. Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and save them.
10. Using a melon-ball cutter, remove the seeds, pulp and the fleshy separations of the tomatoes, putting them in a bowl.
11. Arrange the tomatoes in a 13 ½ x 8 ¾ inch baking dish.
12. Pass the reserved tomato seeds and flesh through a food mill, using the disc with the small holes, into a small saucepan.
13. Add 3 cups of water to the pan.
14. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
15. Add coarse-grained salt to taste.
16. Then add the rice and boil for 5 minutes.
17. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand until needed.
18. When the fish is cool, drain the rice, reserving the broth.
19. Put the rice in a glass bowl with 6 tbsp of oil.
20. Use a strainer to transfer the fish to the bowl of rice.
21. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper.
22. Use a spoon to break up the fish and mix it with the rice.
23. Fill each tomato 2/3 fill with the stuffing.
24. Cover each tomato with its reserved top.
25. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
26. Add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil to the reserved rice liquid and taste for salt and pepper.
27. Pour the liquid into the dish with the tomatoes.
28. If the liquid does not reach to one third the height of the tomatoes, add enough water to make it do so.
29. Bake for 50 minutes.
30. Transfer the tomatoes to a serving dish.
31. Pour some of the liquid from the pan over top of each.
32. Serve immediately with fresh basil on top.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY