Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
18 ea Crusty Italian Bread Pieces, 3x2in, 1in thick
18 ea Basil Leaves
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Peeled and cut in 1/2
2 ea Tomatoes
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the pieces of bread on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes on each side.
3. After the bread is toasted, rub each side with a slice of the cut garlic.
4. Arrange the basil leaves on a large platter, then put the pieces of bread over them.
5. Warm the oil in a small saucepan over very low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Immediately pour the warm oil over the bread.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cut the tomatoes horizontally into 1in thick slices.
9. Cut each slice in half.
10. Place 1 half-slice on top of each slice of bread and serve immediately.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY