Serves 1 Quart
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 cups Whole Milk
1 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp Sugar
5 ea Tarragon Sprigs, Plus 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Leaves
Method of Preparation
1. In a heavy, medium saucepan with a lid, combine milk, cream, tarragon sprigs, vanilla and sugar.
2. Bring just to a simmer over medium-low heat.
3. Whisk to dissolve the sugar.
4. Remove the custard from the heat and let steep, covered, for 10 minutes.
5. Strain the custard into a metal bowl, discard the solids.
6. Chill in an ice bath until very cold, then freeze in an ice cream maker.
7. During final 5 minutes of freezing, add the chopped tarragon.
8. Transfer the gelato to an airtight container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
9. Serve in cones or bowls.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue