Swiss Chard, Sausage and Ricotta Pie
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 lb Italian Sausage
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Swiss Chard, Cooked well, Drain (Can substitute Spinach)
1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
2 ea Prepared Pastry Crusts
1 ea Egg White, Beaten
4 ea Eggs. Lightly Beaten
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble it in a large saucepan with olive oil.
2. Brown for 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. In the same pan, without removing the fat from the sausage, add the onions.
5. Sauté for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from heat and add the cooked Swiss chard.
7. Mix it well with the onions.
8. Add the Parmesan, Ricotta, 4 whole beaten eggs and the sausage meat.
9. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
11. Fit one pastry into the bottom of a 10inch pie dish.
12. Brush the inside of the pastry, including the sides, with the 1 beaten egg white, reserving a bit for the top of the pie.
13. Fill the pie with the sausage, Swiss chard and cheese mixture.
14. Cover with the second pie crust.
15. Press the two crusts together, if possible in a decorative pattern.
16. Brush the remaining egg white over top.
17. With a sharp knife, make 4 to 5 small slits into the top pastry.
18. Bake for 40 minutes.
19. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue