Stuffed Tomatoes with Basil, Eggs and Breadcrumbs
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Tomatoes, Not Peeled
16 ea Asparagus Spears, Trimmed and Steamed
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
1 tbsp Butter
2 ea Hard-Boiled Eggs
1 ea Whole Egg, Lightly Beaten
3 ea Italian Bread Slices
2 tbsp Basil, Chopped (or 1 tsp Dried)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Oil and Vinegar Dressing
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Wash and core the tomatoes.
3. Widen the opening of each tomato by cutting away more at the stem end.
4. Carefully remove all of the pulp from the tomatoes.
5. Chop the tomato pulp into small bits, drain well and place in a mixing bowl.
6. Salt the inside of each tomato, turn them upside down and allow to drain for 30 minutes.
7. Remove most of the crust from the bread.
8. Cut the bread into small pieces and then grind to crumbs in a food processor.
9. Add the crumbs to the drained tomato pulp.
10. Chop the hard-boiled eggs coarsely and add to the tomato.
11. Add the beaten egg, 1 tbsp oil, basil and fresh pepper.
12. Mix well.
13. Adjust seasoning to taste.
14. Fill each tomato with the stuffing.
15. Arrange on a baking dish, dot with butter and remaining tbsp of oil.
16. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
17. Serve on individual plates with 4 asparagus spears on the side.
18. Drizzle the asparagus with the dressing.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, June 2011 Issue