Stuffed Clams with Pancetta
18 Stuffed Clams
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Onion, Finely Chopped
4 ea Rosemary Sprigs
12 ea Cherrystone Clams, Purged/Scrubbed
1 1/2 cups Dry White wine
1 ea Red Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
3/4 cup Celery Rib, Finely Chopped
1/4 lb Pancetta, Thinly Sliced, Cut crosswise into 3in pieces
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a wide, heavy pot with a lid, heat 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add ½ cup of onion and the rosemary, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 7 minutes.
4. Add clams, wine and 1/2 cup of water, cover and steam over high heat until the clams open, this should take 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove pot from heat.
6. Transfer clams to a plate and pour 1/4 cup of the liquid from the pot into a glass measuring cup, try to avoid any grit from the bottom of the pan.
7. Remove and discard rosemary sprig.
8. Remove clams from their shells.
9. Separate 9 shells, to make 18 half shells, and reserve.
10. Remove and discard round muscles on both sides of each clam.
11. Quarter clams, then cut into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
12. In a large skillet, heat remaining 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
13. Add remaining cup of onion, bell pepper and celery.
14. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
15. Remove mixture from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
16. Then scrape the sides down into the bowl with clams.
17. Add the breadcrumbs, reserved clam broth, parsley, 1/8 tsp salt and a generous pinch of pepper.
18. Lightly pack stuffing into shells.
19. Arrange stuffed clams on a baking sheet, top each with pancetta and bake 30 to 35 minutes.
20. Serve warm.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue