Stuffed Chicken Alla Novarese
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Small Chicken and Liver (approx.3lbs)
3 1/2 oz Italian Sausage
1 ea Onion, Chopped
1 cup Breadcrumbs
1 cup Milk
1 ea Egg Yolk
2 oz Gorgonzola
1 1/2 oz Walnuts, Coarsely Chopped
2 tbsp White Wine
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 1/2 oz Raisins
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
2. Rinse the chicken and dry it well.
3. Puree the chicken liver, sauce and onion in a food processor.
4. Add the soaked breadcrumbs, egg yolk, crumbled gorgonzola and walnuts.
5. Season with salt, pepper and oregano to taste.
6. Fill chicken with the stuffing, leaving aside 2 tbsp.
7. Truss the chicken.
8. Melt the butter in a saucepan and brown the chicken on all sides.
9. Pour the grapa over the chicken and deglaze.
10. Add wine, salt and pepper.
11. Cover the pot and place in a preheated oven, bake at medium heat for 1 hour.
12. Remove cover and let bake an additional 15 minutes, basting with drippings occasionally.
13. Remove chicken from the pan and place on a warm platter.
14. To the sauce add the heavy cream, the remaining stuffing and the raisins.
15. Thicken slightly over high heat.
16. Remove the stuffing from the chicken and arrange on a platter.
17. Cut the chicken and arrange on top of the stuffing.
18. Garnish with fresh watercress.
19. Serve with the sauce on the side.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendie