Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 ea Whole Calamari, Fresh
For the Stuffing
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup White Wine
1 ea Garlic Clove, Minced
3 tbsp Capers
8 ea Black Olives, Pitted, Extra for garnish
3 tbsp Parsley, Minced
4 ea Cherry Tomatoes, Chopped
1 cup Pecorino Cheese, Grated
1 tsp Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Clean the calamari, so that you are left with a hollow tube for stuffing.
3. To do this, gently pull the heads and tentacles from the bodies.
4. Then pull out the interior bone and intestines.
5. Peel the outer membrane from the calamari tube.
6. Wash and leave the calamari tubes to dry for a few minutes.
7. For the stuffing- Finely chop the tentacles of the calamari.
8. Mix the chopped tentacles with the remaining ingredients.
9. The stuffing should be lightly moist so that it sticks together.
10. If it is too dry, add more extra virgin olive oil.
11. Fill the calamari with the stuffing mix.
12. Bind the open ends with a tooth pick.
13. Place the stuffed calamari in an oiled baking dish, garnish with a few black olives and drizzle with olive oil on top.
14. Cook for 20 minutes and serve.
15. If the calamari dries out during cooking time, add a half cup of white wine.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue