Stewed Tomatoes and Peppers
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Large Italian Sausage (about 1/4lb), Cut into 1/4inch slices
1/3 cup, plus 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 cup Onion, Thinly Sliced
3 1/2 cups Fresh Tomatoes, Chopped Coarsely
2 lbs Italian Green Peppers, Seeded and each cut into 4 or 6 strips lengthwise
1/4 cup Dry Red Wine
1 tbsp Fresh Basil, Chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Method of Preparation
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil in a large skillet.
2. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt and basil.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 25 minutes.
5. Add the wine and cook for 5 minutes more.
6. In another skillet, heat the remaining 1/3 cup oil.
7. Brown the sausage slices.
8. Transfer the sausage to the tomato mixture.
9. In the same skillet you cooked the sausage, sauté the sliced pepper for 5 minutes.
10. Add the onions and cook for 20 minutes more.
11. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes.
12. Add the tomato mixture and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
13. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
14. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue