Stewed Artichokes and Chicken
All ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market
8 ea Large Artichokes
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Cut into 1in wedges
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 lb Chick Thighs, Boneless, Skinless, Cut into 1in cubes
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
2. Drain and pat dry artichokes.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat, add artichokes and onion, cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
5. Add remaining tbsp of oil and chicken to the skillet.
6. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
7. Return vegetables to pan, add wine and 1/4 tsp of salt.
8. Gently simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
9. Uncover and continue to simmer until artichokes are tender and liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes more.
10. Serve warm.
www.lacucinaitalianamag.com La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue