Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
7 oz Spinach, Boiled or Steamed
3 oz Butter, Unsalted
3 ea Scallions, Chopped
2 1/2 oz Ham, Cooked
1 1/3 oz All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
5 ea Eggs, Seperated (4 egg yolks, 5 egg whites)
2 1/2 oz Grana Padano, Grated
Method of Preparation
1. Drain cooked spinach well and squeeze out excess water.
2. Finely chop the spinach.
3. Melt 1 oz butter and sauté the scallions until translucent.
4. Add spinach and sauté over low heat for 6 minutes or until somewhat dry.
5. Season with salt and nutmeg.
6. In another saucepan melt butter and add flour.
7. Cook until golden, then whisk in the milk.
8. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
9. Whisk in the egg yolks while mixing well.
10. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
11. Beat egg whites until stiff.
12. Carefully fold the egg whites into the mixture.
13. Fill 2/3 of the buttered soufflé pan with the mixture.
14. Bake for 15 minutes at 300 degrees F.
15. Raise the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 30 minutes.
16. Serve immediately.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendie