Spicy Carrot Soup
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 3/4 lbs Carrots, Peeled, Cut crosswise into 1/2in pieces
1 ea Potato, Peeled, Cut into 1in cubes
1 ea Shallot, Finely Chopped
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
Red Pepper Flakes
Fine Sea Salt
Fresh Marjoram Leaves for Garnish
Thin Crackers for Serving
Method of Preparation
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 5 cups of water just to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine carrots, potato, shallot, oil, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like spicy food).
3. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add boiled water.
5. Return liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
6. Cook, covered for 20 minutes.
7. In batches, transfer pan contents to a blender and puree until smooth.
8. Return to soup pot and gently warm through.
9. Adjust seasoning to taste, then thin with extra water if desired.
10. Ladle soup into serving bowls, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with marjoram.
11. Serve with crackers.
Disclaimer: La Cucina Italiana Magazine, www.lacucinaitalianamag.com March/April 2013 Issue