Scungilli with Linguine
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 oz Scungilli, Fresh or Frozen
1 lb Linguine
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/4 cup White Wine
1 ea 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
2 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
1 ea Bay Leaf
Hot Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add the scungilli and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and then drain the scungilli.
4. In a large skillet with high sides, warm the olive oil over high heat.
5. Add the garlic and scungilli and sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add the wine, tomatoes, bay leaf, a pinch of hot red pepper flakes and the reserved cooking liquid.
8. Lower the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes.
9. Add water to the skillet if it dries out during cooking.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Bring another large pot of salted water to a boil.
12. Cook the linguine until al dente.
13. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet.
14. Toss well.
15. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 2004 Issue