Sardine and Roasted Tomato Pasta
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Orecchiette Pasta
2 lbs Plum or Cheery Tomatoes
6 ea Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
1 can Good Quality Sardines
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tsp Dried Oregano
Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
Hot Red Pepper Flakes, To Taste
Salt, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
3. Lay them on a baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle with salt, red pepper flakes and oregano.
5. Slip the sliced garlic into the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
8. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the pasta water.
9. Place the cooked pasta in a large bowl.
10. Add the roasted tomatoes and all of the drippings and oil from the pan.
11. Pour the reserved pasta water onto the baking sheet and use it to scrape any extra pieces from the bottom of the pan. Add to the bowl with the pasta and tomatoes.
12. Add the sardines to the bowl, breaking them up with a wooden spoon.
13. Add the fresh basil and serve.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue