Saffron and Leak Farfalle
All ingredients are available in the market.
3 ea Leeks, White Part Only
6 tbsp Butter, Unsalted, Divided
1 cup Vegetable Broth (Optional)
Salt, To Taste
1 lb Farfalle Pasta
1 small pinch Saffron Threads
8 oz Mascarpone Cheese
1/3 cup Grana Padano, Freshly Grated
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground White Pepper
Peas for Garnish (Optional)
Method of Preparation
1. Rinse leeks thoroughly to remove any dirt or sand, and slice the white part thinly.
2. In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter.
3. Add the sliced leeks and sauté for 10 minutes.
4. Add some hot water or broth if the leeks become dry.
5. When leeks are done, remove the skillet from heat.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta.
7. While the pasta is cooking, melt the remaining 4 tbsp of butter in a small pot.
8. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and the saffron threads. Stir well.
9. Remove from heat and set aside to let the saffron release its flavor and color.
10. In a separate bowl, mix together the mascarpone, Grana and white pepper.
11. When the pasta is al dente, drain and pour into the skillet with the sautéed leeks.
12. Add the cheese mixture and saffron butter, sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
13. Mix well to coat the pasta.
14. Garnish with cooked peas for color, if desired.
15. Serve immediately.