Rustic Canapes of Chicken Livers
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
10 ea Chicken Livers, Cleaned and Fat Removed
20 ea Sage Leaves
4 ea Juniper Berries
1 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 dry Red Wine
16 ea Crusty Italian Bread Slices, 3x3inches, 1/2in thick
Method of Preparation
1. Finely chop 5 of the chicken livers together with 4 of the sage leaves and the juniper berries.
2. Heat the oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. When the oil is warm. Add the chopped ingredients and the garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
4. Then add the wine and let it evaporate for 10 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
6. When the oven is hot, put the bread pieces on a baking sheet and heat for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, cut the remaining chicken livers into quarters and add them to the saucepan.
8. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and transfer the contents of the saucepan to a glass bowl.
10. To make the canapes, spread 1 tbsp of the topping on each piece of bread.
11. Arrange the crostini on a large serving platter and serve.
12. If fresh sage is available, place 1 leaf on top of each canape.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY