Roman-Style Veal Saltimbocca
You will need wooden picks for this recipe.
6 ea Veal Cutlets (about 2 1/2 oz each), Cut in half crosswise
6 ea Thin Slices of Prosciutto, Cut in half crosswise
12 ea Sage Leaves
3 1/2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
3 1/2 tbsp Dry White Wine
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Gently pound each veal piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 1/8 in thick with flat side of meat mallet or a rolling pin.
2. Cover each veal piece with 1 piece prosciutto and 1 sage leaf, secure with wooden picks.
3. Arrange veal on a large plate, prosciutto-side down and very lightly season with salt.
4. In a 12in heavy skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until foamy.
5. In 2 batches, cook veal.
6. Place in the skillet, prosciutto side down for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for 10 seconds more.
7. Reserve skillet with pan juices.
8. Transfer veal to a large serving platter.
9. Add wine to pan juices and boil for 30 seconds.
10. Whisk in 1 tbsp of water.
11. Pour the pan sauce over the veal.
12. Serve immediately.
www.lacucinaitalianamag.com La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue