Roasted Mushrooms with Bacon and Eggs
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Shiitake Mushrooms, Stems removed, Sliced into 3/4inch thick pieces
3 1/2 oz Bacon, Diced
4 ea Eggs
4 ea Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
2 tbsp Hot Pickle Spears, Thinly Sliced
3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted, Divided
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
6 ea Basil Leaves, Torn
Juice of 1 Lemon
4 oz Ricotta or Parmesan, For Garnish
3/4 tsp Salt, plus more for season to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
3. Add 3 tbsp of the olive oil and 1 1/2 tbsp of the butter.
4. Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms.
5. Cook until caramelized, about 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Season with 3/4 tsp Salt and some pepper.
7. Remove the mushrooms from the sauté pan and drain on paper towels.
8. Lower the heat to medium and add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and 1 tbsp of the butter to the sauté pan.
9. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
11. Add the pickled pepper and basil, stir to combine.
12. Then add the cooked mushrooms and toss together until the mushrooms are warm.
13. Stir in the lemon juice.
14. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, the mixture should be spicy, salty and lemony.
15. Set aside and keep warm while cooking the eggs.
16. In a medium ovenproof nonstick sauté pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 tbsp of butter over medium heat.
17. Crack the eggs and add them to the pan.
18. Season generously with salt and pepper.
19. When the eggs start to sizzle, place the sauté pan into the oven.
20. Cook the eggs just until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 2 to 3 minutes.
21. Divide the mushrooms among the serving plates.
22. Slide one egg onto the top of each plate of mushrooms.
23. Garnish with fresh ricotta or Parmesan cheese.
Mosaic Magazine, Morgan Stanley