Roast Leg of Lamb
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Boneless Leg of Lamb, 5 to 6lbs
3 tbsp Oregano, Coarsely Chopped
1 tbsp Rosemary, Coarsely Chopped
2 tbsp Sumac
1 tbsp Red Chile Flakes
2 tbsp Fennel Seeds, Ground
1 tsp Cloves, Ground
2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
1/4 cup Sea Salt
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Method of Preparation
1. Pat the lamb dry with paper towels and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the salt, fennel, oregano, chile, pepper, sumac, rosemary, cinnamon and cloves.
3. Stir to combine.
4. Add the oil and stir to form a thick paste.
5. Rub the pasta over the entire lamb leg.
6. Place the coated lamb on the rack of a roasting pan lined with foil.
7. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
9. Roast the lamb on the middle rack for 15 minutes.
10. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F.
11. Continue to roast the meat until a thermometer inserted in the center of the roast reads 140 degrees F.
a. Plan on 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
b. Begin checking the temperature about an hour and a ½.
12. When the roast reaches 140 degrees F, remove the lamb from the oven.
13. Pour 1/3 cup of water in the bottom of the pan.
14. Cover the lamb loosely with foil and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
15. Slice and serve.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2016 Issue