Risotto with Spring Vegetables
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Vegetable Stock
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
1 ea Carrot, Diced
1 ea Celery Stalk, Chopped
1/2 ea Red Pepper, Chopped (Optional)
1/2 ea Yellow Pepper, Chopped (Optional)
3 1/2 oz String Beans, Trimmed and Chopped
1 ea Zucchini, Diced
1/2 cup Fresh Green Peas
2 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Minced
6 ea Basil Leaves, Minced
3 oz Taleggio Cheese, Diced
2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
5. Make sure every grain is coated with oil.
6. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
7. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
8. When the stock comes to a boil, add the carrot, celery, bell pepper, string beans, zucchini and peas.
9. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
10. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
11. You may have some leftover stock.
12. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Taleggio cheese, butter, the Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
13. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari