Risotto with Shrimp Carthusian
Most ingredients are available in the market!
2 cups Shrimp
6 cups Fish or Chicken Stock
4 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
1/2 cup Brandy
1 cup Green Peas, Cooked
6 tbsp Tomato Sauce
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Warm 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add half of the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp and brandy.
5. When half of the brandy has been absorbed, add the green peas and tomato sauce and stir until cooked through.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
7. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter with 1 tbsp of the olive oil in another large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
8. Add the remaining chopped onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
9. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
10. Make sure every grain is coated with butter and oil.
11. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
12. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
13. After 10 minutes, add half of the shrimp and pea mixture.
14. Continue adding stock.
15. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
16. You may have some leftover stock.
17. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining shrimp and pea mixture, 3 tbsp butter, remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, the Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
18. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari