Risotto with Radicchio and Smoked Provolone Cheese
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Vegetable Stock
1 ea 7oz Head of Radicchio
4 tbsp Butter
1 cup Red Wine
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
4 1/2 oz Smoked Provolone Cheese, Cut into Cubes
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the radicchio in half and julienne one of the halves. Set aside.
2. Slice the remaining half into lengthwise strips.
3. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
4. Add the radicchio strips and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the wine into the pan, let it evaporate and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
6. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
7. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter with the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
8. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
9. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
10. Make sure every grain is coated with butter and oil.
11. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
12. When the first cup of stock starts boiling, add the julienned (uncooked) radicchio.
13. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
14. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
15. You may have some leftover stock.
16. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp butter, the Provolone cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
17. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
18. Serve topped with the sautéed radicchio.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari