Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Chicken Stock
3 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Garlic Clove, Chopped
1 cup Fresh Porcini Mushrooms, Washed, Dried, and Thinly sliced
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
1 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Minced
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Warm the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
5. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter with the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
6. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
7. Add half of the sautéed onions.
8. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
9. Make sure every grain is coated with butter and oil.
10. Then add the dry white wine and stir until absorbed.
11. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
12. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
13. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
14. You may have some leftover stock.
15. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tbsp butter, the Parmesan cheese, sparkling wine and salt and pepper to taste.
16. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
17. Serve topped with the remaining sautéed mushrooms, the parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari