Risotto with Parmesan Cheese
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Chicken Stock
4 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
6 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Sparkling Wine
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter with the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
5. Make sure every grain is coated with butter and oil.
6. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
7. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
8. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
9. You may have some leftover stock.
10. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 3 tbsp butter, the Parmesan cheese, sparkling wine and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari