Risotto with Chicken
Most ingredients are available in the market!
1 ea Roasted Chicken
6 cups Chicken Stock
3 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ea Garlic, Chopped
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1 cup Dry White Wine
2 ea Fresh Sage Leaves
10 ea Sprigs of Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Remove and clean the bones from the chicken.
2. Dice the meat into cubes.
3. Combine the bones with the stock in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Drain the liquid through a fine sieve.
5. Return to the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
6. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
7. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
8. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
9. Make sure every grain is coated with oil.
10. Add 1/2 cup of the wine and stir until absorbed.
11. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
12. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
13. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
14. You may have some leftover stock.
15. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and lightly brown the chicken.
16. Deglaze the pan with remaining 1/2 cup wine, then add the sage.
17. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let rest.
18. When the risotto is ready, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chicken mixture, butter, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
19. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
20. Serve topped with parsley.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari