Risotto with Chicken Leftovers
Most ingredients are available in the market!
6 cups Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Finely Chopped
2 ea Celery Stalks, Chopped Small
1 ea Carrot, Chopped Small
1/2 lb Mushrooms, Any Variety, Chopped
3/4 lb Leftover Chicken, Off the bone
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped, For Garnish
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
4. Add half of the celery and carrots, sauté for 3 minutes.
5. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
6. Make sure every grain is coated with butter and oil.
7. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
8. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
9. Continue adding stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
10. After 5 minutes of cooking, add the mushrooms, chicken, and the remaining celery and carrots.
11. Continue adding stock.
12. Cook until the rice is just tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
13. You may have some leftover stock.
14. Remove the pan from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
15. Let the risotto rest for a minute or two before serving.
16. Serve topped with chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari