Ricotta and Spinach Gnocchi
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Frozen Spinach, Thawed
1 ea Garlic Clove, Chopped
2 ea Eggs
1 ea Egg Yolk
4 tbsp Butter, Divided
2 cups Flour
7 oz Ricotta
4 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, Freshly Grated, Divided
Nutmeg, Freshly Grated
1 tsp Sage, Chopped
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Squeeze the spinach well to remove any excess water and roughly chop it.
2. Place in a food processor and puree until smooth.
3. In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter and add the garlic.
4. Add the pureed spinach and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
8. In a bowl, add the whole eggs, egg yolk, flour, a pinch of nutmeg, 3 oz Parmigiano, the ricotta and the cooked spinach puree.
9. Mix well by hand or in a food processor.
10. From this mixture into marble sized gnocchi.
11. As you form the gnocchi, place them on a floured surface to dry and sprinkle them with a little flour.
12. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water.
13. Remove after 2 minutes or when they rise to the surface.
14. In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter and add the sage.
15. Stir for 3 minutes.
16. When the gnocchi are ready, drain and add them to the skillet.
17. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat well with the sage butter.
18. Season with salt and pepper.
19. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano.
20. Serve immediately.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 3, 2014 Issue