Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 tbsp Coarse Salt
1/2 lb Long-Grain Rice
2 ea Carrots, Boiled, Diced
2 or 3 ea Zucchini, Boiled, Diced
2 ea Celery Stalks, Chopped
1 cup Ham, Boiled, Diced
1 cup Chicken, Boiled, Diced
1 cup Swiss Cheese, Diced
2 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon Juice, To Taste
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
4 ea Hard-Boiled Eggs
Method of Preparation
1. Fill a large saucepan with 3 quarts of cold water and the coarse salt.
2. Bring to a boil, and then add the rice.
3. Do not cover.
4. Boil the rice, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon so the grains do not stick to the bottom of the pan, for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Drain the rice thoroughly into a colander.
6. When the rice is completely dry, transfer to a large bowl and mix in the vegetables, ham, chicken, cheese, and parsley.
7. Add the olive oil and season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add the eggs to the salad, or use as a garnish.
Tales of Risotto, Culinary Adventures from Villa d’Este by Jean Govoni Salvadore and Luciano Parolari