Rice Pudding with Spice Cake and Hazelnut Cream
90 Minutes plus cooling time
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
Spice Cake and Toasted Nuts
1/3 cup Hazelnuts
7 tbsp Butter, Unsalted, Room Temperature
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Vanilla Bean, Seeds Scraped
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of Ground Cloves
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Honey
1/4 cup Confectioners’ Sugar
2 ea Egg Yolks
2 ea Whole Eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp Originario Rice
1 cup Whole Milk
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
Fine Sea Salt
1 1/4 cup Whole Milk
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
3 ea Egg Yolks
1 tsp Corn Starch
Method of Preparation
1. Spice Cake and Toasted Nuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly golden, 12 minutes.
3. Remove nuts from the oven and wrap in a kitchen towel, let steam for 1 minute.
4. Then rub nuts in the towel to remove loose skins, it’s fine if not all skins come off.
5. Let nuts cool, then chop finely and set aside.
6. Butter a 9x5in loaf pan.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, half of the vanilla seeds, cinnamon, cloves and a pinch of salt and pepper.
8. In a large bowl whisk together butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add honey.
9. Whisk in egg yolks and eggs, one at a time.
10. In two batches, whisk flour mixture into butter mixture to form a thick batter.
11. Using a spatula, transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
12. Bake cake, rotating half way through, for 35 minutes.
13. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges and unmold.
14. Rice Pudding: In a large saucepan combine 4 cups water, rice and a pinch of salt.
15. Bring to a boil; reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes.
16. Drain rice and return to pot.
17. Add milk and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook.
18. Stir frequently, until pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes.
19. Transfer to a large bowl and cool 15 minutes, stir in cream.
20. Hazelnut Cream: in a medium saucepan combine milk, half of the toasted hazelnuts, remaining half of the vanilla seeds and sugar.
21. Bring just to a boil, then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
22. In same saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and corn starch, then whisk in milk mixture.
23. Warm over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes.
24. Divide among 5 shallow serving bowls.
25. Cut 12 (1/4in thick) slices from cake.
26. Arrange 2 slices in each bowl.
27. Top with rice pudding, dust with cocoa and sprinkle with remaining nuts.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue