Red Wine Braised Beef
8 Hours Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/2 lbs Beef Eye Round
2 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cups Dry Red Wine
2 ea Carrots, Sliced
2 ea Celery Stalks, Sliced
1 ea Onion, Chopped
1 ea Rosemary Sprig
1 ea Bay Leaf
2 ea Sage Leaves
1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Tie the meat with kitchen string and place in a baking dish.
2. Add the wine carrots, onion, celery, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, pepper and salt.
3. Marinate for 6 to 7 hours in the refrigerator.
4. Remove the meat from the refrigerator and set out for 30 minutes to bring to room temperature.
5. Drain the marinade from the meat and reserve.
6. Pat the meat dry.
7. In a large pan, heat the olive oil and butter.
8. Over high heat, add the meat and quickly cook each side until it is browned.
9. Season with salt.
10. Pour the reserved marinade over the meat.
11. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours.
12. Remove the meat from the pan and cut into slices.
13. Strain the sauce and serve with the meat.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue