Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
7 oz Provolone Tipico Dolce, Thinly Sliced
5 oz Pancetta, Finely Chopped
1 1/2 oz Butter, Unsalted
1 ea Onion
2 ea Garlic Cloves
1 ea Small Head of Cabbage, Cleaned and cut into strips
6 1/3 cups Broth (Chicken, Beef or Vegetable)
Several slices of toasted Italian Bread
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
2. When the butter is frothy, sauté the onion, garlic and bacon over low heat for 1 minute.
3. Before the mixture browns, add the cabbage.
4. Mix thoroughly and let simmer for a few minutes.
5. Add the broth.
6. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
7. Season to taste.
8. Lightly rub the toast with a piece of freshly cut garlic and place 2 slices of toasted bread in every soup bowl.
9. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese.
10. Pour the boiling hot soup over top.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi