Pork with Beans and Kale
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/3 cup Dried Cranberry Beans
1 ea Carrot, Chopped
1 ea Celery Rib, Chopped
2 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled
1 ea Bay Leaf
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 lbs Boneless Pork Shoulder, Cut into 2in pieces
2 ea Celery Ribs, Cut into ¼ in dice
2 ea Carrots, Cut into ¼ in dice
2 cups Dry White Wine
1/2 lb Kale, Roughly Chopped
1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
1 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
Fresh Thyme Sprigs for Garnish
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. For beans: Rinse beans, combine with carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf in a large saucepan.
2. Cover with water by 3 inches and soak for 8 hours.
3. For pork: Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
4. Add half of the pork and cook, turning, until browned all over, 5 minutes.
5. Transfer pork to a plate.
6. Repeat with remaining pork.
7. Return the pork to pot along with carrot, celery, garlic, wine and 1 cup of water.
8. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 1hour.
9. Meanwhile, place saucepan with beans over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.
10. Reduce to a bare simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
11. Remove bay leaf, drain and set the beans aside.
12. Remove the lid from the pork, increase to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup, 30 to 40 minutes.
13. In a large skillet with lid, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat.
14. Add kale and cook, covered, for 3 minutes.
15. Remove from heat.
16. Add beans, butter, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to the pork.
17. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping bits from the bottom of the pan.
18. Serve with kale and garnish with parsley and thyme.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue