Pork Rolls alla Siciliana
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
8 slices Pork, Thin (2 1/2 oz each)
1 1/2 oz Ground Beef
4 tbsp Breadcrumbs
3 tbsp Olive Oil
3 tbsp Pine Nuts
4 tbsp Raisins
4 tbsp Pecorino Siciliano, Grated
1 ea Egg White
1 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
3 tbsp Olive Oil for Frying
4 oz Marsala
1 tbsp Butter, Unsalted, Cold
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Heat oil in a pan and lightly brown the breadcrumbs.
2. Add the ground beef, pine nuts, raisins and Pecorino and blend.
3. Cool in a bowl.
4. Mix in the egg whites with the breadcrumb mixture and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place 1 spoonful of filling on each slice of pork.
6. Roll up and hold together with a toothpick.
7. Lightly flour the meat.
8. Heat the oil and sauté the roll ups until lightly browned on all sides.
9. Transfer to a warm serving plate.
10. Turn the heat to high and deglaze with Marsala.
11. Remove from the heat stirring constantly.
12. Whisk in the cold butter to thicken the sauce.
13. Finally, pour gravy over the pork rolls.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendie