Porcini Mushroom Tart
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Prepared Pastry Crust
4 tbsp Butter
1 ea Egg, Beaten
3 ea Egg Yolks
6 ea Shallots (or 2 ea Onions), Finely Chopped
1 lb Cremini or Button Mushrooms, Put aside 4 and coarsely chop others
1 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
2 tbsp Flour
2 cup Half and Half
3 tbsp Brandy
Juice of 1 lemon, Divided in Half
1 tsp Thyme, Chopped
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the pastry crust into the shell of a 9 or 10 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
3. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, to include the bottoms and sides.
4. Bake for 2 minutes.
5. Cool the shell.
6. Soak the dried mushrooms in a covered bowl of warm water for 20 minutes.
7. Drain, reserving the liquid.
8. Cut off any hard stems or edges from the mushrooms.
9. Rinse the drained mushrooms and then drain again.
10. Cut the pieces into small bits and set aside.
11. In a large skillet, heat the butter and sauté the shallots for 3 to 4 minutes.
12. Add the chopped fresh mushrooms and the dried ones with their soaking liquid.
13. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
14. While stirring, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes more.
15. Add the half and half and the brandy, cook for 3 minutes.
16. Add the thyme, salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
17. Let cool for 10 minutes.
18. Stir in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing each one in well.
19. Add half of the lemon juice and stir well.
20. Cut the stems off the 4 mushrooms you set aside earlier.
21. Slice thinly across the diameter to make circles.
22. Toss them lightly in the remaining lemon juice.
23. Put the tart shell on a baking sheet.
24. Fill with the mushroom filling.
25. Spread the top with the back of a spoon to make sure it is evenly distributed.
26. Arrange the circles of mushrooms beginning at the center of the tart and working your way out to the edges.
27. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
28. The filling should puff a little and the mushrooms on top should be golden.
29. Cool slightly, then remove sides of the pan.
30. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and slice.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue