Poached Veal with Tuna Sauce
12 Hours Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 lb Boned and Tied Veal Roast from the upper leg
1 ea Celery Stalk, Cut into large pieces
2 ea Carrots, Peeled and cut into large pieces
1 ea Onion, Quartered
1 cup Dry White Wine
2 ea Bay Leaves
For the Sauce
2 ea 6oz Cans Imported Italian Light Tuna in Olive Oil, Drained
8 ea Anchovy Fillets
2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 tsp Salt-Packed Capers, Rinsed
Method of Preparation
1. To cook the veal, place all of the ingredients in a large casserole dish.
2. Add cold water to barely cover and bring to a boil.
3. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, lower the heat to medium low and let simmer for about1 to 1 1/2hours.
4. When the veal is done, remove the meat from the cooking liquid and place it in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
5. Strain the cooking stock and add it to the meat.
6. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
7. To make the sauce, place everything but the mayonnaise and capers in the bowl of a food processor and process until very smooth.
8. Add the mayonnaise and pulse until well blended.
9. If needed, add a little reserved cooking stock to achieve the consistency of a thin cream.
10. Taste for salt, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
11. To serve, spoon some of the tuna mayonnaise onto a large serving dish.
12. Remove the chilled veal from the stock and cut into very thin slices.
13. Arrange the slices over the sauce on the platter, then spoon additional sauce over top.
14. Sprinkle with the capers.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue