12 Minutes Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea 9in Frozen Pie Crust
3 ea 8 oz Cants Pineapple Rings, Drained
1 cup Sugar
2 ea Egg Whites
1/2 cup Rum
3 cups Heavy Cream
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the pie crust in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Roughly chop the pineapple rings, leaving two rings whole for garnish.
5. Divide the chopped pineapple into two parts.
6. Puree half of the pineapple in a blender.
7. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
8. In a bowl, mix the other half of the pineapple with the rum.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
10. Place the sugar in a small saucepan and add 1/4 cup of water.
11. Place over medium heat and cook for 4 minutes.
12. Remove the syrup from the heat and set aside to cool.
13. In a bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
14. Slowly add the cooled syrup, and whisk until stiff peaks form.
15. Gently fold this mixture into the pureed pineapples.
16. Whip the heavy cream with a pinch of sugar to medium peaks.
17. Put 1/2 of the mixture into a pastry bag.
18. Fold the remaining 2/3 into the egg white mixture.
19. Drain the pineapple-rum mixture and place the pineapples into the baked pie crust.
20. Top with the egg-white mixture.
21. Garnish with the reserved pineapple rings and whipped cream.
22. Place in the freezer for 45 minutes before serving.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 2004 Issue