Pepper and Caper Salad
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled, Finely Chopped
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp Capers, in Wine Vinegar, Drained
1 ea Tomato
5 ea Basil Leaves, Torn into thirds
15 ea Whole Fresh Mint Leaves
4 ea Yellow Bell Peppers
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the tomato into pieces and pass the pieces through a food mill, using the disc with the small holes, into a small bowl.
2. Add the garlic, basil and 5 of the mint leaves.
3. Pour the oil over the herbs and add salt and pepper.
4. Mix well with a spoon.
5. Cover the boil and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Place a baking dish with 4 cups of cold water on a lower shelf of the oven.
8. After 5 minutes, put the whole peppers on the shelf above the steaming water.
9. Roast the peppers for about 40 minutes, turning them over 3 to 4 times.
10. Remove the peppers from the oven and put them in a plastic bag. Let stand for 15 minutes.
11. Put the peppers in a large bowl of cold water and then peel them. Be sure to remove the stems and seeds.
12. Cut the peppers into thin strips.
13. Arrange the strips on a serving dish and pour the prepared sauce over them.
14. Mix well, cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
15. Serve, sprinkled with remaining mint leaves and the capers.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY