Peas and Paternostri
Serves 4 – 6
Most ingredients are available in the market!
3 lb Fresh Peas, Unshelled
1 tbsp Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled
25 ea Italian Parsley Sprigs, Leaves only, Plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Homemade Beef Broth
1/2 lb Short, Tubular Dried Pasta, such as Paternostri, Avemarie or Ditallini
Coarse Grained Salt
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Wash the unshelled peas very well in cold running water.
2. Then shell them and save both the peas and the pods.
3. Put the peas in a bowl of cold water.
4. Mix the flour into the water and let the peas soak for a ½ hour to tenderize them.
5. Put the pea pods in a large quantity of cold water over medium heat.
6. When the water begins to boil, add the coarse salt.
7. Cook the pods for 20 minutes, drain, reserving the cooking water and discarding the pods.
8. Drain and rinse peas.
9. Coarsely chop the parsley and finely chop the garlic.
10. Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
11. When the oil is warm, add the chopped ingredients and sauté for 1 minute.
12. Add the peas, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
13. Add 1/2cup of broth and taste for salt and pepper.
14. Cover the pan again and cook over low heat, adding more broth as needed, until the peas are cooked but still firm, 15 to 25 minutes.
15. Return the water in which the pea pods were cooked to a boil.
16. Add the pasta, cover the pot and bring the water back to a boil.
17. Uncover the pot and cook the pasta until al dente.
18. Drain the pasta and transfer it to the pan with the peas.
19. Stir very well and cook for 1 minute more.
20. Taste again for salt and pepper.
21. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the extra parsley.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY