Pear Cake with Lemon
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 cup Heavy Cream, Whipped
1/4 tsp Lemon Extract
9 tbsp Butter, Melted
4 ea Eggs
1 1/2 lbs Pears, Peeled, Cored and Sliced
3/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar, Plus extra for sprinkling
1 1/4 cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Use 1 tbsp of melted butter to grease a 9 or 10inch spring-form pan.
3. Put the pear slices in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice.
4. Add the lemon extract and toss well.
5. Put the eggs, sugar and lemon zest (reserve a pinch of the lemon zest for the cream), in a bowl and whisk until the mixture becomes thick and mouse-like, up to 5 minutes.
6. The whisks should leave a trail.
7. Combine one half of the flour, baking powder and some salt and sift it over the whisked eggs.
8. Pour the remaining 8 tbsp of melted butter to the sides of the bowl and fold in.
9. Sift the remaining flour and fold in.
10. Add the lemony pears and carefully fold in.
11. Pour this mixture into the prepared pan.
12. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
13. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
14. Remove the sides of the spring form pan.
15. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
16. Serve cake warm with the lemon whipped cream.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue