Pea, Zucchini and Borage Soup with Mint Oil
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/4 cups Peas, Shelled (from about 2 1/2 lbs in pods), or 1 (10oz) package Frozen Pease, Not Thawed
1 1/2 lbs Zuchchini
1/2 lb Borage Leaves
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Shallot, Qaurtered
1 ea Slice of Bread (1/3inch thick)
1/3 cup Mint, Finely Chopped
2 ea Bay Leaves
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Heat the oven or toaster to 300 degrees F.
2. Cut 1/2 lb of the zucchini into 3/4inch thick cubes.
3. Place into a large saucepan.
4. Add 9 cups of water, 4 borage leaves, shallot and bay leaves.
5. Bring liquid just to a boil over medium-high heat.
6. Reduce to a simmer.
7. Gently simmer for 45 minutes.
8. While the broth is simmering, place the bread directly on the oven rack.
9. Bake until dried out and lightly toasted, 10 to 12 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, cut the remaining 1 lb of zucchini into 1/8inch thick cubes.
11. Roughly chop remaining borage.
12. Transfer toasted bread to a plate and let cool completely, then break into coarse crumbs, set aside.
13. In a small bowl, stir together the oil, mint and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
14. Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
15. Gently but firmly pressing the solids to extract any liquid.
16. Discard the solids.
17. Return the broth to the saucepan, whisk in 1/2tsp of salt.
18. Bring to a simmer.
19. Add the reserve zucchini cubes, remaining borage and peas to the broth.
20. Gently simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
21. Remove the soup from the heat.
22. Adjust seasoning to taste.
23. Drizzle with the mint oil.
24. Ladle soup into bowl and sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue