1 Hour 45 Minutes
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 1/2 cups Chicken or Beef Stock
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus extra for drizzling
7 oz Mixed Short Dried Pasta
1 1/2 cups Dried Cannellini Beans, Soaked Overnight
10 ea Cherry Tomatoes
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Peeled and Sliced
2 tbsp Fresh Basil, Chopped
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Cured Italian Ham, Optional
1 tsp Fresh Chili, Chopped, Optional
Method of Preparation
1. Drain the beans and cover with fresh water.
2. Cook them for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Drain and reduce half of them to a paste in a food processor.
4. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and then add the ham.
5. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
7. Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
8. Add both the whole and processed beans.
9. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
10. Mix in the basil and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and the optional chopped chili on top.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue