Pappardelle with Lobster, Lobster Butter and Broccoli Rabe
Serves 4 – 6
The lobster butter recipe can be found in the ‘side dishes’ tab, under the recipe section of our website.
To make the lobster butt and the lobster meat for this pasta, you’ll need 3 lobsters total. All three can be boiled together to make the best use of your prep time.
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market
2 ea (1 1/4lb) Lobsters, Preferably Female
1 bunch Broccoli Rabe, Trimmed
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Garlic Clove, Gently Smashed and Peeled
10 1/2 oz Lobster Butter, Cut crosswise into 1in thick pieces
3/4 lb Pappardelle
Method of Preparation
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Plunge lobsters head-first into the boiling water, cover and cook until water returns to a boil, about 5 minutes.
3. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Transfer the lobsters to a colander and drain, head-down to remove excess liquid.
5. When cool enough to handle, crack the lobsters to separate the meat from the shell.
6. If lobster is female, remove roe and set aside (the roe sac is red when cooked).
7. Discard soft, pale green tomalley.
8. Cut lobster meat into 1/2in pieces, set aside with roe.
9. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
10. Add broccoli rabe and cook for 2 minutes.
11. Using tongs, transfer broccoli rabe to a colander to drain. Reserve pot of water.
12. Roughly chop the rabe.
13. Return water to a boil, then stir in pasta and cook until al dente.
14. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil.
15. Add the rabe and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
16. Drain the pasta and then return to the pot.
17. Immediately add the lobster butter, lobster and roe.
18. Cook, stirring constantly over high heat until butter begins to melt.
19. Add rabe and cook for 1 minute more.
20. Adjust seasoning.
21. Serve immediately.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, www.lacucinaitalianamag.com March/April 2013 Issue