Pan-Roasted Duck Breast over Lentils
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
4 ea Duck Breasts, Boneless, Approximately 6oz each, Skin On
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
1 ea Shallot, Thinly Slices
1 ea Bell Pepper, Seeds and Ribbing Removed, Julienned
1/2 ea Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded and Julienned
1 ea Red Beet, Peeled and Julienned
1 cup Dried Lentils, Soaked in Cold Water for 2 hours or Overnight, Drained
1/3 cup Green Peas, Frozen
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
2 sprigs Thyme, Plus extra for Garnish
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, thyme and 4 cups of cold water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Drain the lentils, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
5. While the lentils are cooking, prepare the duck.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. In a large ovenproof skillet, warm 2 tbsp of olive oil over high heat.
8. Season the duck breasts with salt and pepper.
9. Add them to the skillet skin side down.
10. Sauté until golden brown and then flip.
11. Add the vegetable stock.
12. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast for 8 to 10 minutes.
13. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil.
14. Add the shallot, bell pepper, squash, beet and peas.
15. Sauté for 8 minutes.
16. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
17. Divide the lentils among four plates.
18. Slice the duck breasts and arrange each breasts on top of the lentils.
19. Spoon the vegetables around the breasts.
20. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, January 2014 Issue